Search This Blog

Thursday, January 21, 2010

The Joy of Intercessory Prayer

It was the middle of the night when I received a tweet from a friend about her father who was being rushed to the hospital. This dad had been battling some physical issues for a few months and it was rearing its ugly head again. She texted me that she wanted to pray, but when she tried, nothing came out. As I thought about that statement, I saw a difference in a well-known predicament that sometimes when we pray, it seems our prayers only hit the ceiling. She wasn't dealing with some "prayer-to-the-ceiling" syndrome. This is a helpless, overwhelming feeling that is indescribeably painful.

As I thought about how to respond, my mind went to the words of the Apostle Paul in his letter to the Romans. Paraphrasing, he said the Spirit understands our weaknesses and when we can't pray, He prays for us. He intercedes on our behalf to the Father! When I don't know what to say, He says it for me!

What a blessing to know we have a Father in Heaven who loves us enough to extend His grace and comfort to us. What a joy, knowing that even in my most uncertain times, I can be certain He is interceding on my behalf. When I'm experiencing the most hurt, even beyond being able to verbalize it, He is praying for me!

In an effort to fully release the purpose of the Holy Spirit's intercession in your life, consider these practical habits to make a part of your life.
-> Ensure your personal response prepares you for eternity with Christ.
-> Enjoy resting in the peace that passes all understanding.
-> Experience the reassuring presence of His Holy Spirit to comfort you in your emotional hurts and struggles.

No comments:

Post a Comment