Search This Blog

Monday, March 18, 2013

An Encounter with Fame

I wrote on another blog a few days ago about people with whom I would enjoy sitting down and sharing a meal. There are a few well known folks that I think it would be interesting to just sit and pick their brain a bit. Among those that I included in that blog were George W. Bush and Sarah Palin. Others were sports figures, John Smoltz and Mark Richt.

This past week, I was able to go to a Spring Training baseball game between the Atlanta Braves and the New York Mets. I'm a big Braves fan, and I always enjoy going to watch them play ball. In fact, I went to my first Braves game as a youngster in May 1969 in Atlanta. In that game, Hammerin' Hank Aaron hit a homerun and I've been hooked ever since!

As a kid growing up, my aspirations were to play baseball for the Braves and to follow that career in the broadcast booth. The closest I came was playing a year of JV baseball in high school and working in radio playing gospel music and then doing some broadcasting of local high school sports on the side.

Generally this time of year, I'm just like kid in a candy store when I'm at a baseball game. I realize those guys are overpaid to play a game. I understand they put their britches on just like I do. But to understand the work they put in to hone their craft and the ability they have leaves me somewhat awestruck. To compound that, to put together a career of statistics that enable a player to be enshrined into the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, NY is a huge deal to me.

While attending the game at Disney the other day, I saw a guy signing autographs from the broadcast booth. The stadium is small enough that the fans in the stands have pretty much direct contact with those guys. I had taken a baseball with me for the specific purpose of trying to obtain such a signature. It was none other than Hall of Fame pitcher Don Sutton.

As my friend, Bob, and I made our way up the aisle to speak with Mr. Sutton, I could feel the excitement welling up inside me. Then I was able to chat with him a bit. He was such a gracioius gentleman and took the time to chat with as many fans as he could before he had to begin his preparations for his work.

The honor was doubled when I realized that the Braves play by play announcer was also in the booth. I'd certainly be remiss for not mentioning Mr. Jim Powell. He was also as kind and gracious when he signed my program and took a minute to visit as well.

I'm aware that getting a man to sign his name on a baseball or a game program is not going to matter a whole lot in the grand scheme of eternity, but it was enjoyable to be able to share my appreciation with him. I do admire his body of work, both as an athlete and now as a broadcaster. To add the fact that these were classy gentlemen to that list allows me to appreciate his work even more.

Thank you, Mr. Sutton, for providing a bit of enjoyment to a guy's afternoon at Disney.

My baseball signe by Hall of Fame Pitcher, Don Sutton


No comments:

Post a Comment