Search This Blog

Thursday, June 20, 2013

My Daughter the Missionary

I'm really not sure how I'm supposed to feel. It seems like every time I turn around I'm slammed with another factoid that reminds me that my family is growing older. With age comes change, and sometimes I handle change pretty well. Then there are those other times; not so well.

A few months ago, my eldest daughter decided she wanted to go on a mission trip. I should say, the desire to go on a mission trip was born years ago. The opportunity made itself available a few months ago to make that desire a reality. The college she attends (and graduates from in December) is sponsoring this mission trip to Guatemala. She sent out some fundraising letters, and thankfully the support began to come in. My home church in Georgia happened to be the source for the final dollar to put her at her goal.

Last Wednesday night, she was able to share the goals and vision of the mission team with our church here in Florida. Not especially fond of public speaking, it was almost all I could do sitting on my back pew listening to her share, with enthusiasm, what she was about to do. We shared other prayer requests, then my brother in law / pastor called on me to pray. That's not really out of the ordinary. But this particular time, my heart was overwhelmed at what God has in store for my little girl.

Yesterday, my wife and I drove to Orlando where we dropped Emily at the home of the mission team leader. As I type this, they are likely waking up and beginning their trip to Orlando International Airport to begin their journey. As we drove back home, my wife asked if I was 'emotional'. It was bright out, I was wearing my sunglasses. It was a fair question, but I answered in the negative, figuring it was her way of asking if I was crying.

To be blunt, I don't know what I was feeling. My mind was all over the place. I had just left my daughter to go with people I had personally just met ~ out of the country! I thought about how proud I was to have children who have a passion to serve God. (I'll write another blog about my youngest soon.) I thought about, even in their differences, they both have a common bond in longing to do what pleases God. Honesty compels me to also say there was a bit of fear down deep as well.

Twenty years ago, my wife and I gave Emily back to God for His use. We've simply tried to bring her up in the way He would want us to. There have been times we've done things less than best. There have been things we would probably do differently if we could do it all over again. But all in all, if my daughter is willing to allow God to do in her life what He wills, there is absolutely nothing that would make me any more proud!

I look forward to sharing with her when she gets back from her trip. I look forward to seeing what God has taught her and how He has used her to show the children of Guatemala that He loves them. I'm praying that the children of these remote villages of Guatemala's hill country will know that there is a God who wants to have a relationship with them. Will you help me pray to that end?

No comments:

Post a Comment