Search This Blog

Monday, November 18, 2013

The Joys of Interacting With Snowbirds

I was waiting for a local bookstore to open, so I decided to have a cup of coffee while I waited. With my handy dandy smartphone in hand trying to be productive with my time, I was quietly minding my own business. Well OK, I was doing some people watching, too, but I wasn't staring or inviting company in the least!
A retired lady walked out of Starbucks and stopped where I was seated. She abruptly asked if this was an iPhone I was using. I replied that if wasn't and tried to explain to her, in retirement aged English, the difference between an iPhone and my phone. Trying desperately to think quick on my feet, which is not a typical trait of mine, I didn't want to use the word Android and further confuse the dear lady. I told her that I had a smartphone and I could perform many tasks with it just like an iPhone. I told her that an iPhone is a smartphone, just that my smartphone was not an iPhone.
She then asked if it was better to purchase the phone outright or get into a contract. If I had been wearing sunglasses, it would have been now that I would have peered over them at this dear lady. With all the respect I could muster, I assured her that I was on a contract. I said, "Ma'am, I've always had a contract. I can't afford to lay out $600 for my phone." After explaining that line twice (no lie ~ TWICE), she went on to another question.
Finally, trying desperately not to be rude or sound exasperated, I asked the dear senior if she remembered the gentlemen who held the Starbucks door for her as she exited. She said she did, and I encouraged her to go and ask them any questions she may have on the subject. I said, "They work three doors down at AT&T. Both of them have helped me before." Then she asked for their names! Aaarrrggghhhh! True story ladies and gentlemen. Can't make that stuff up! There is joy in living in South Florida in the fall / winter months!

No comments:

Post a Comment