Search This Blog

Friday, October 1, 2010

Friendship

As a PK (Preacher's Kid), I moved around quite a bit while growing up. While I was younger, I despised that. It seemed that I was always moving away from friends. Today, with hindsight being 20/20, there are some pros and cons to that upbringing.

Sure, I'd like to look at one place and have the memories and roots to be able to call 'home', but I have to accept the fact that will never be the case. There is absolutely nothing that can be done about it now. Rather than dwell on the negatives, I choose to think about the positive results of my nomadic youth.

In every place I lived while growing up, I was fortunate to have a buddy to pal around with. There was Mark and Bruce, Jim and Chad, Billy and George, David, Wendell, Mal, Jamie, and Greg. Then, I went to college! The awesome people God strategically placed in my life have taught me to be able to adapt to various situations and accept people for who they are.

Adapting to differing locales has enabled me to relate to the diverse population I now encounter. In my work, I come in constant contact with people from all over the world. Many times, I have been able to relate to a person's home area because I've been there, have friends who live there, or I may have even lived there myself!

With the advent of all the social media these days, Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, etc., my friends are rarely more than a mouse click away. Whether I speak directly with them daily or weekly, I still have a general idea of how they are doing. For example, a college friend is experiencing the grief of losing a loved one. I learned through Facebook, and was able to communicate to him that our family is praying for him and his family.

Scripture teaches that a friend loves at all times. God has granted me the opportunity to have friends all around the globe. I am so fortunate to have those whom God has used to positively shape and mold me with their influence. Be encouraged to love your friends as God loves you. Then, send a note or give them a call. Let them know you love them and appreciate them. They'll be encouraged, and you will, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment