Search This Blog

Saturday, April 14, 2012

I Am NOT Superstitious ~ Honest!

I'm not superstitious. Really. Honest. In fact, I asked someone early Friday morning if Friday the 13th is so bad, why are we not equally as skiddish of Saturday the 14th; or Thursday the 12th? Friday is supposed to be one of the most favorite days of the week. Why should it get the bad wrap four times a year? I should have known this Friday the 13th was going to try to get me when I woke up well before my alarm went off. Since I work midnights and sleep during the day, it is my custom to check my phone for messages when that happens. I have a routine; check for text messages, then check e-mail, then jump on Facebook to see if anything jumps out at me. This particular day, a friend had a statement about her mascara that intrigued me. In an effort to read the comments associated with her post, I inadvertently hit the 'like' button. Since her mascara running today had to do with mourning the anniversary of losing a loved one, I felt pretty bad. I tried to 'unlike' the post, but to no avail. Kept getting an error message. So, I sent her a message to let her know that I didn't 'like' the reason her mascara was going to run, and it isn't a trait of mine to wear mascara, so it isn't as if I can relate to her problem. I rolled back over and went to sleep. Again, well before my alarm sounded to arise from my slumber, I woke up. Rolling back over to go through my routine again, I discovered this friend was gracious to me. Thank you, Janet. I appreciate that. Finally deciding I wasn't going back to sleep, I got up and showered, anxiously awaiting the Braves home opener on television. Many thanks to MLB Extra Innings for the free preview days. Keep that going just as long as you'd like. The Braves bats were doing well ~ they won their third game in a row. Friday the 13th would not jinx me! I began to watch a light show outside. The sound of thunder soon followed. A bit later, I began to hear the rain falling; just as it was time to go to work. I left in plenty of time to actually report to work a few minutes early. I remembered a lesson I learned many years ago: leave in time to be punctual, given any circumstance. The rainfall was brutal. I had the wipers on high speed. Finally, the rain let up a bit just less than a mile from work. I was grateful. The last traffic light was yellow ~ the car in front of me was traveling at a safe speed under the light. Until the driver decided he needed to stop for the traffic light. I slammed on my brakes but the slick road and the split second decision to stop was a bit too much. Even trying to swerve into the other lane didn't help. My left front bumper caught his right rear bumper. Just a few short weeks ago, also on a Friday (just not the 13th), a person rear ended us. That was in broad daylight and beautiful sunny conditions, though. In that accident, I tweeted, "My VUE can beat your Hyundai any day." On this rainy night, I'm afraid I couldn't say the same. His Accura got the best of my VUE. Fortunately, I was able to drive it, and just as fortunately, the driver and the officer were both gracious. Yep, my fault on the insurance, but there was no citation issued. THANK YOU, Officer!!! No, I'm not superstitious. No, the accident had nothing to do with it being Friday the 13th. But it sure did cap it off in a way I'd just as soon not happened. Guess I'll be phoning the insurance folks tomorrow and getting ready to fork over a deductible in hopes my VUE can be quickly repaired. Hopefully, that's not just wishful thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment