Search This Blog

Saturday, December 26, 2009

Friendships and College Football

Watching college football is a hobby of mine. I am particularly fond of Georgia Bulldog football, but believe me when I say that if I'm channel surfing and come across a football game on television, I'll pause before even considering moving to the next channel.

The Georgia Bulldogs are playing in the Independence Bowl on Monday. Because of working a third shift, kick-off is at a bit of an inconvenient time for me, but rest assured, I'll roll out of bed in time to make it to a television set to watch.

Here are a few rules to remember when watching a football game with me: One rarely hears smack talk from me before a game. I save that for after the game. That way, if the game doesn't go UGA's way, I don't have to swallow nearly as much crow. That bird just doesn't have good taste! During the game, there is very little conversation. After all, I might miss some nuance of the game that is very important. Nevermind that if that happens, the television will show it fifteen dozen times. After the game, if UGA wins, I'm in a really good mood. Let's go out to eat, get some pizza or a burger...enjoy life! If the Dawgs lose, it's a different story. At least for a little while, I'll wear that loss on my sleeve. "It's just a game," some say. If someone says that to me, I'll kindly and gently remind them to please tell me that in a day or three ~ after the sting of the defeat wears off.

Some of those qualities are good to possess. Some, well, aren't so good. The bottom line is this: If you have a fan that's loyal to their team, you probably have a good friend. A friend who will be there when no one else will. You'll have a friend who will not leave you when the going is tough. Hmmm, I wonder what team God likes? Now, before you think that to be in bad taste, or think that God happens to like the same team you do, please understand the context of the statement. The Bible says God is a friend who sticks closer than a brother. God promises not to let you down. He will deliver those who put their trust in Him. Can you be called a friend of God?

No comments:

Post a Comment