Search This Blog

Friday, December 25, 2009

I wonder just how God chose Mary and Joseph...

I was thinking earlier on Christmas Eve about Mary and Joseph. I wondered about the qualities they possessed that would prompt God to choose them to be the earthly parents of Jesus. Then, the thought occurred to me that Jesus is the only person who has been born on this earth to be able to choose His own birth parents!

Did He see patience in them (Mary and Joseph)? Did God see a particular gentleness or was it a firm hand that caught His eye? Did He observe a financial prowess in Joseph's carpenter shop, or Mary's ability to sing as pretty a song as she wrote? Was it a work ethic they possessed, or did they have a 'jack-of-all-trades' ability?

We'll never know the answers to these questions, and quite honestly, the answers have absolutely no bearing on the eternal scope of life. For whatever reason, I had begun to wonder if Jesus were just now coming to earth the first time, would I even be considered a candidate to be the earthly dad of the Son of God? Do I possess any of the qualities or characteristics of Joseph?

I would have to say that I would fall way short of Joseph's abilities and characteristics. I don't see myself as being even on a short list for that job. But the good news is that I don't have to be. Aside from the fact that He's already come, I don't have to be 'good enough' for that job. That's not the goal. The goal is to have as close a relationship with Jesus as I possibly can. Doing so means I want to involve myself with steady Bible study and prayer. It means I want to enjoy fellowship with other believers and a Bible believing and teaching local church. I will want to participate in being a genuine servant to others.

If you are reading this and would be interested in further dialogue about how to connect with God and begin a relationship with Him, please feel free to simply comment to me and I would be happy to share with you how you, too, can enjoy a relationship with the Creator of the Universe. There's actually no better time than right now to do just that. I'm praying you will.

No comments:

Post a Comment