Search This Blog

Friday, February 4, 2011

Spring Training ~ Here Comes Baseball

Its hard to believe Spring Training 2011 is almost here. To non-baseball fans it doesn't mean anything. To the moderate baseball fan, it may not mean much. But to the baseball fan who truly loves the game, and particularly to those of us who live in Florida (or Arizona, I suppose) it means a LOT!

It is our time of year when we can view our favorite past-time up close and personal. I've been to quite a few baseball games in the past. I'm very fortunate that way. And while a regular season game means a lot more in the grand scheme of things, going to a Spring Training game where players are a lot more accessible brings back memories of what baseball used to be.

The Dodgers moving from Vero Beach was a sad time. I attended the last Dodger game at Dodgertown. That place was the epitome of Spring Training. Players and coaches actually took time to talk to fans. Fans would walk around and follow the players and coaches to the various work out sites. Media would be right there, too. I still remember a conversation I had with a notable ESPN baseball analyst one warm Spring Training day at Dodgertown. Those were the days.

But here we are again. Spring Training is right around the corner. Although I can't attend games at Dodgertown anymore, my buddy Bob and I are fully prepared to go root on our Braves at Disney in March. We are Braves fans and that has become a favorite trip to look forward to.

For those friends still stuck in some frozen part of the United States, let this be an encouraging word to you. Baseball is right around the corner. The frigid winter will not last forever! Play ball!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment