Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Gracious Living in Relationships

Here's a recent picture of Robin and me
This week is a great family week for the Faisons. It all began 24 years ago. Robin and I celebrated our 24th Wedding Anniversary on Monday. It's hard to believe we've been married that long.

I'm quite proud of my family. Robin has certainly been more than gracious throughout our marriage. In fact, I'm convinced that in any 24 year marriage relationship, there is a lot of grace extended in all parties. I remember during a particularly difficult stretch, that lesson being drilled into my head and heart. In our lives, we all do things that are not wise. Actually, some of us do things that are just downright stupid. Such was the case in my own experience. I had been stupid - very stupid! Yet Robin extended grace. You know what she told me? I think I could almost quote it, but she said that if God has forgiven her and extended grace to her, she had to do the same for me. And I thought I was supposed to be the spiritual leader!

God's grace and forgiveness has been extended to all of us. As we walk this journey of life, we all do stupid stuff. We all come far short of God's expectations and standards, yet He has forgiven us and continues to extend His grace.

God gives grace time and time again. What we must remember is not to abuse that grace. That's something else I'm learning. Just because we know God's grace is available is no license to do as we please, expecting God's grace to cover our stupidity. Eventually, there comes a time of accepting a more mature attitude of living a life God is pleased with.

Yes, we're human and sure, we'll make mistakes. We're not going to live a sinless, perfect life. But to knowingly continue to abuse God's grace will eventually cause more and more trouble. There are definite consequences for our actions. In Paul's letter to the Galatians (6:7), he writes, "Be not deceived; God is not mocked. Whatever a man sows, that he will also reap."


No comments:

Post a Comment