Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Is Your Spiritual Workout Yielding Positive Results?

I went to the gym yesterday. Now, if you know me personally, please keep reading after you pick yourself up off the floor. There is a local gym near my home and the monthly, no-contract rates are very reasonable, so I joined. I know I have a lot of weight to lose, and a lot of, ahem ~ muscle that needs to get toned up. It will take a long time to return to respectability, but hey, at least I'm trying.

Oh, back to the gym. When I got there, I headed straight for the treadmill. There are two main reasons I headed that direction. One, I figure I shouldn't hurt myself too bad if I'm just walking. If I get into the whole weight lifting routine without someone there to make sure I'm doing it right, could prove disastrous! The second reason, (and these are not in a particular priority order) is because I had my headphones and there were TVs there. I found ESPN and, wouldn't you know it, the treadmill directly in front was available!

I hopped on, (alright, stepped or even climbed, is more accurate) and figured out the computer. I was born well before 1984, so this took a few seconds. After setting the TV sound for the headphones, and the MPH I wanted to walk, and the virtual incline setting, I was finally able to start walking. I walked and walked. According to the distance setting on the computer, I walked a mile. My heart rate got up to about 124 beats per minute. But I didn't move from that one spot.

Do you feel that way in your spiritual life sometimes? I will confess that I do. Sometimes I feel like I'm doing my best to move forward and then realize that I've been at a standstill working up a sweat and going nowhere. We have all the conveniences surrounding us. We make use of all the latest gadgets and technology. We may even listen to Christian music and teaching on the radio exclusively. But we go nowhere.

There are a couple of Scriptural principles to draw from. First, Paul writes a list of things in Philippians 4. He said whatever things are are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you.

Jesus, also while teaching that famous Sermon on the Mount in Matthew 6, reminds us to invest our treasures in Heaven rather than here on earth. Are we so invested in things here that we neglect things that are more important?

What could be in your life causing you to be doing lots of things, maybe for good reasons, but not reaching all the potential we really long for? Are there 'good things' that may be standing in your way? Do some evaluating and earnestly seeking God's Word to help you clear the way between you and your relationship with God today.

No comments:

Post a Comment