Search This Blog

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Singing Southern Gospel

Music. If ever there was a non-political or a non-religious word to ignite emotion, that word could do it. There are social, political, and religious discussions that can send people over the top, but get someone in a discussion about good or bad music, and watch what happens!

Perhaps the reason for that is, along with those social, political, and religious topics, music tends to define who we are. When we openly discuss these topics, our values suddenly begin to shine. These things will say more about us than we might otherwise verbalize about ourselves.

While I generally consider myself to enjoy a wide variety of music styles, my roots lie in Southern Gospel. Growing up, I remember listening to the Mull Singing Convention on the radio that featured the Chuck Wagon Gang. I remember watching the Singing Jubilee with the Goodmans and Florida Boys. The Bill Gaither Trio were also favorites of mine. Then, as I got into high school, I began working at our local radio station. We played Southern Gospel music every night, and I learned about the Nelons, Cathedrals, Gold City, and the Kingsmen among others.

During my early adult years, the Gaither Vocal Band was begun. I think they took my music appreciation to a completely different level. Gaither began the Homecoming series of videos, and practically gave this genre of music the proverbial shot in the arm to keep it alive. Groups like the Martins and Signature Sound have risen to popularity, largely with the help of Gaither's Homecoming Series.

I enjoy listening to all these groups. I'm very familiar with many of the older songs because of the radio days. There is one group of young men, though, that has really caught my attention recently. The group is called Soul'd Out Quartet. Honesty compels me to say the reason I began to listen to them is a young man who is an alumnus of my alma mater sings baritone for the group. Later, I learned the bass singer is also an alum.

Several things have impressed me about this group of guys. First, if you click on their website (AFTER you finish reading my blog!), you will notice these are a bunch of young kids! Seriously, I dare say their average age would put them in their late 20s. Another thing I appreciate about them is their talent. They have a really incredible sound. They are able to sing a unique blend of old style southern gospel with a newer, more progressive sound that reflects their age. Third, the guys like to have fun! As you are visiting their website, (again, AFTER you read my blog) check out some of the videos they have uploaded. It is obvious they enjoy being together. I've been able to only attend one of their concerts. But from that experience, combined with visiting with them via social media, etc., I really believe they have a genuine walk with God. That is the most important aspect of anyone in ministry.

I sing in a southern gospel quartet myself. (No, our average age isn't in our 20s.) It is a thrill for me to sing in different places and meet lots of people. The most important part, though, is being able to share Christ, and communicate the gospel message. I hope you will take advantage of listening to some good music today. Let it lift your spirits and encourage you. Most of all, allow yourself to meditate on the good news of Jesus Christ. If you are in need of a relationship with Him, or have questions about that, please feel free to send me a message via my blog. I'd love to share with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment