Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Dale Murphy for the Hall

My pick for Tuesday's Tweet of the Day goes to Dickie V tweets "@DaleMurphy3 Hall of Fame is where u belong."

Dale Murphy, of course, was the center fielder for the Atlanta Braves during my teen years. He was one of the few bright spots on a pretty dim Braves team back then. For baseball purists, there are some statistical numbers that the powers-that-be look for to cement enshrinement in Cooperstown. Mr. Murphy is right on the cusp of those numbers. There are some who would say he just didn't have quite good enough statistics to be so honored. Others are able to show he indeed has the statistics to vote him into the Hall.

With all the controversy that surrounds many of the stars of the game today, it should be noted Murph was above reproach on the diamond and off. He had the character that many players of today's generation lack. That should stand for something. (Incidentally, I realize if Mr. Murphy and I were to sit and talk theology, we would vehemently disagree on some of the most basic tenets.) The fact remains his character is head and shoulders above most of those in the game today.

In June 2010, I had the opportunity of attending a couple of Braves games in Atlanta. It happened to be Alumni Weekend and one of the highlights of the trip was being able to interact with some of the Braves Alumni ~ of which Dale Murphy was one. The line to get Dale Murphy's signature on a baseball was long. It was well worth it, though, when I was able to speak to him. I simply said to him, "Thanks for the memories, Mr. Murphy." As sincerely as I've ever seen or heard a man, he looked me in the eye and said, "No, thank YOU."

I admit I was a little taken aback by his response. I hope I never forget it. More than that, I hope I never forget the intent behind it. Here's an athlete who played the game very well (that's an extreme understatement!) and yet recognized his athletic ability wasn't above the game nor the fans who made it possible for him to enjoy such a living.

It would be so nice for the present day athletes, in all sports, would learn and apply such a lesson.

2 comments:

  1. Ok I have no clue who you are talking about. But if you like him then that's good enough for me my friend! :)

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Pam. This former ball player is proof that even though we may be miles apart in our spiritual views (he's LDS), taking the moral values as stand alone views speak volumes to the work ethic and responsibilities more people should emulate.

    ReplyDelete